North East Wales Football League – Cup double for Park, Gronant hit eight, Ruabon seven

By N Beech


Greenfield 0 Connah’s Quay Town 1
Eddie Gallagher scored the 88th minute decider which earned Town maximum points at last season’s Premier champions.

FC Queen’s Park 3 New Brighton Villa 2
Liam Davies was a hat-trick hero for a Queen’s Park side which had to withstand a strong second-half comeback from a good Villa outfit to reach the next round.
The Park started well and tried to play their football from the back.
NBV always looked dangerous on the counter, but the Park struck first blood with a delightful ball from Luke Hughes which was delicately headed home by Davies.
The hosts started the second half on fire and a further two goals from Liam Davies put them in a commanding position.
This shook NBV into life and a goal from Scott Davies turned the game on its head.
The visitors started piling forward and a Scott Davies screamer from 40 yards made it 3-2.
The Park stood strong and saw out the win, thanks largely to some magnificent double saves from Josh Edwards.
A special mention to everyone for the impeccable minute’s silence in honour of original Queen’s Park player Adam Bradshaw, who recently passed away.

Greenfield 3 Brymbo 0
Tie automatically awarded to Greenfield by a 3-0 margin.

CPD Gronant 8 CPD Sychdyn 0
Goal scorers Steven Kirk, Dylan Taylor, Liam Rowland-Jones, Gary Fazakerley, Aidan Bell, Matthew Lewis (2) and Daniel Price combined to deliver a big win for the hosts.

Overton Recreational 3 CPD Caerwys 1
Harry Massey (2) and Christopher Bush supplied the goals which won this one for Overton, Jack Smallman with Caerwys’ sole response.

Saltney Ferry 2 Ruabon Rovers 7
Conner Kendrick was a hat-trick hero in Ruabon’s emphatic success at the Ferry.
Kendrick concocted his treble in a 10-minute spell deep into the second half.
Brynley Thomas, Andrew Swarbrick (pen), Brandon Edwards and a Jack Nadin own goal made up the rest of the away tally, Ryan Hughes and Joshua Kearns hitting back for the hosts.

Johnstown YFC v Bellevue
Postponed until October 1 due to ground issues.

Lex XI Reserves 7 Penyffordd Lions Reserves 2
Seb Kidd and Finley Dyer both scored hat-tricks for a Lex side which eventually romped to victory after trailing 2-1 early in the second half.
Kidd broke the deadlock on 31 minutes, but Joshua Ford levelled after 35 and Ethan Davies made it 2-1 Lions in the 48th.
Dyer quickly replied twice and Joel Edwards put the Lawmen 4-2 up before a Kidd double put the hosts out of sight.
The 90th minute saw Dyer complete his treble.

Acton 3 Llay Welfare Colts 3 (Acton won 4-2 on penalties)
This tie finished 3-3 after 90 minutes, Michael Pugh, a Thomas Prebble own goal and Jason Williams effort accounting for the home strikes, James Towey (2) and Jamie Heath keeping the visitors in the contest.
It came down to spot-kicks and Acton prevailed 4-2.
Acton – Jamie Pugh, Michael Pugh, Rocco Wintin and Oliver Scarsbrook all scored.
Llay – scored: Thomas Prebble, Aron Carter; missed: Jamie Heath, Joseph Cooper.

Coedpoeth United 3 Mynydd Isa Spartans 6
Liam Owens, Harri Jones, Samuel Genders, Kobie Betts (2) and Owen Pilson came up with the away goals which clinched a Spartans success.
Kevin Breeze, Jacob Williams and Jamie Jones were the home team marksmen.

Connah’s Quay Town 0 FC Queen’s Park 3
Daniel Parry, Aaron Filmer and Ben White all found the net as the Park took the spoils.

Where next?

Grassroots North Wales Club of the Month/Clwb y Mis for September/Medi – FC Queen’s Park Take a bow FC Queen’s Park – Grassroots North Wales Club of the Month/Clwb y Mis for September.
Group fixtures announced for Mike Beech Trophy The first of 3 group stage fixtures

North East Wales Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.